Thursday, May 30, 2013

Crab cakes, baybee. Quick, easy, super delicious!

This post was inspired by a twitter exchange about crab cakes with
@Chris PetersenTx. So, Chris, this one's for you...

Must be forty years old anyway, but this is my Mom's crab cake recipe. Quick, easy, super delicious and pas de breadcrumbs so nothing except a thin batter to bind them. Only tip is to make them a few hours before you cook them. Put them in the fridge so the cakes have time to firm.

I cook them in Mom's cast iron pan. More than forty years old and so well seasoned nothing sticks to that sucker.

  • 1 egg
  • 2+ tablespoons mayo
  • 3 tablespoons self-rising flour (I use a little less)
  • handful chopped parsley
  • hot sauce to taste (Tabasco, Caribbean hot sauce, Worcestershire, etc)
  • 1+ teaspoon mustard (I use Maille)
  • 1 pound lump crabmeat

Beat egg, stir in mayo. Whisk in flour, parsley, mustard, hot sauce. Add crab, toss lightly, just enough to (sort of) hold together. Form into cakes (they will look sloppy and lumpy), press lightly with pancake turner to flatten, put into fridge to firm.

When ready to cook, let the pan get hot. Then add oil and butter. Let the oil and butter get hot. Add the crab cakes. Two or three minutes on each side and you're done. Makes 4-6 cakes.

That's it. Sometimes I add jalapeƱo slivers if I have them.

I serve with a simple dill sauce, cucumber salad and a baguette. Plus white wine. In our house, usually Vermentino.

I made this the other night, didn't take a photo because I didn't know I was going to post about it (blames Chris), but this is what they look like: lumpy, semi-falling-apart with big hunks of crab. What they taste like: Pure crab deliciousness.


Million-copy bestseller MODERN WOMEN by can-you-guess-who? is currently on sale for 99c. The Cleveland Plain-Dealer called it  "Funny, sad, vivid, raunchy." The Chicago Sun-Times said: "Sharply and stylishly written. Harris writes with intellect, insight and humor." I'm pretty sure others might have said something else but fortunately I don't know what it is. :-)

The 99c price won't last forever so if MW sounds like it's for you, now's the time to grab it.

Kindle  |  Nook  |  Kobo  |  iBooks








No comments:

Post a Comment