Thursday, July 18, 2013

Baby Boomers' special: Like It Was Yesterday.



I remember the Fonz and Archie Bunker.
I remember when LBJ meant the President (Lyndon B Johnson) and not a basketball player (LeBron James).
I remember the California Raisins, Louis the Lizard and the Budweiser Frogs.
I remember when the NY football Giants moved to the NJ Meadowlands.
I remember pin curls and garter belts, home perms and "Which twin has the Toni?"
I remember Dick and Pat, Jack and Jackie, Ronnie and Nancy, Jimmy and Roslyn, Bonnie and Clyde, Steve McQueen and Ali McGraw, Liz and Dick, Ken and Barbie.
I remember when you had to get up and cross the room to change the channel.
I remember gas station attendants, newsstands and soda fountains.
I remember streakers, est and transcendental meditation.
I remember consciousness raising, encounter groups and the Manson Family.
I remember Bullitt, The Godfather, and The French Connection.
I remember Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd and Marvin Gaye.
I remember Sergeant Pepper, Tricky Dick and Flower Power.
I remember the Bouffant, the Beehive, the Shag, the D.A, The Wet Look, The Dry Look and Greasy Kid Stuff. 
I remember Joy, "the most expensive perfume in the world" and  "Modess...because"
I remember Pan Am and TWA.
I remember disco and Donna Summer, hula hoops and Rubik's cubes.

I remember lots but I can't remember:
  1. What I had for dinner last night.
  2. Where I put my glasses
  3. Why I went into the kitchen and what I was going to do there
  4. Why I clicked on Google and what I wanted to look up (Thanks to Anne R. Allen for this one!) 

I got the idea for this post while writing THE CHANEL CAPER. If you relate to ups and down of being in your fifties, I think you'll enjoy the adventures of Blake and Ralph as they navigate their way through that sexy and sensational decade.

Kindle  |  KindleUK  |  Nook  |  Kobo  |  iBooks

4 comments:

  1. Hilarious. Thanks for the time-traveling. Some of these I hadn't thought about for years. Like Modess. And Toni perms. Funny how just a word can bring up a scene--full of smells and feelings and emotions...now where are my glasses?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's like Noël Coward's comment about the power of cheap music. All those trivial odds and ends from our past are powerfully evocative and bring back all kinds of baggage, both "good" and "bad." Remember Maidenform bras?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, what a great post :) I'm feeling this way about a lot of the 90's cartoons I grew up with--Rugrats, Dexters Lab, Courage the Cowardly Dog...

    Sarah Allen
    (From Sarah, with Joy)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, thanks! Amazing, isn't it?, how potent those memories are? I read an article the other day about how nostalgia is good for us so I will continue to indulge!

    ReplyDelete