Thursday, August 22, 2013

My name is Ruth and I'm addicted. To notebooks.

Because no writer ever knows when his/her next great idea will strike, I am surrounded by notebooks. On my desk, at my place on the dining room table, on my night table, in my bag, in pockets and purses. Made in the U.S., France, Germany, Japan. Wherever I go, I love to browse stationery and office supply stores and now that back-to-school shopping is in full swing, I will indulge my obsession with notebooks. Here are some of my faves:


"I'm not writing it down to remember it later.
I'm writing it down to remember it now."
Field Notes
Love the color!
Rollbahn, despite the German-sounding
 name, is Japanese.
German and superb quality. Amazon has them here.
I've used Rhodia notebooks for years. Widely available.
 I get them at my local stationery store but Amazon has them here.
Moleskine in snappy Hermès orange.  Here.
Kokuyo makes beautifully designed notebooks.
 I first found them in a Japanese store in NYC
 but Amazon has them as does Jetpens.
Clairfontaine is also widely available.
If I were French, I probably would have used these in school.



I am relieved to report that I am not alone in my notebook obsession. There's an entire blog devoted to notebooks here. Must reading!

Office Supply Geek, obsessed with all things office, dedicates time and space to notebooks here. More must-reading for the notebook obsessed.

Do you have a favorite notebook? Are you obsessed? Is there a notebook I haven't mentioned that I absolutely must have? Please do share in the comments.

These notes of mine end up in books so here's the pitch:
Award-winning historical romance and USA Today Bestselling contemporary romance winner, Vanessa Kelly's take on The Chanel Caper in Love Rocks.


"Set primarily in the world of fashion and advertising in New York City, THE CHANEL CAPER features a fifty-six year old heroine who is smart, sardonic, and whose marriage to her sexy, ex-cop husband has hit a rough patch. Blake Weston makes for a fabulous heroine, watching in some bemusement as her husband Ralph, now head of security for a large international corporation, goes into mid-life crisis. For Ralph, this involves extreme workouts in an effort to recapture his youthful vigor, a new wardrobe, and a flirtation with a bombshell war correspondent doing everything she can to get Ralph between the sheets. Blake, naturally, has no intention of allowing her beloved husband of twenty-five years to slip away from her.



"In an ongoing effort to upmarket her own outdated style and rekindle some romance in her marriage, Blake buys a faux Chanel handbag from a street vendor. This sets off a chain of wild events that includes murder, explosions, counterfeit drug rings, and the pursuit of suspects and warlords from Shanghai to Afghanistan. The Chanel Caper is a romantic comedy, a thriller, and a send-up of the big city lifestyle in the wake of the global financial crisis. All the disparate elements of this very funny story are tethered by the engaging Blake, a smart, sensible, and dryly witty heroine intent on saving her marriage. It’s definitely a romance for the grownups, set against the backdrop of the bright lights of the city that never sleeps."



Kindle  |  Nook  |  Kobo  |  iBooks













  
  












21 comments:

  1. OMG, no wonder we're friends! I have a notebook obsession too. I must have hundreds. Some too beautiful to write in. I have one with handmade paper covers I bought at a craft fair I can't touch. Others are full of scribbling, I'll probably never get back to most of them, but I'll never let them go. I've been a notebook addict since childhood. I still have them back to 7th grade--and I sometimes peruse them for research. It's like time-traveling.

    I must check out that notebook site! Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne—Wow! coincidence but why am I not exactly surprised? I have a friend who collects handmade Japanese paper. They cost a fortune & she has to keep them in special drawers so they don't deteriorate. So our notebooks are a minor obsession in comparison!

      I'm a devoted minimalist, tho, and throw mine out as soon as I finish with the notes/to-dos. I am unhappy when they get down to a few scraggly sheets & can't wait to start a pristine new notebook.

      Delete
  2. I'm always surrounded by notebooks too! As a matter of fact I just did a post about it on my own blog. I usually don't care what kind of a notebook it is, as long as I can get my hands on it and write in it. :) I got a really pretty one a couple years ago, a design called 'Simply Silhouette' by Jacqueline Savage McPhee (mine was light green) which I liked so much that I bought another one or two and got a couple more in different colors as Christmas gifts that year. It's too bad it seems to be discontinued now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elisabeth—Welcome to the notebook crew! Love your post & totally relate! :-)

    Do you write every book in longhand? I work on the computer with a notebook to my left but when I get stuck, I turn to my notebook—currently a green/blue one from Kokuyo—and continue by hand. Somehow changing from the keyboard to the notebook usually gets me unstuck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do my first drafts longhand, and then edit a little bit as I type them out. Most of my editing work after that is on the computer (though I like to print a copy and mark it up with a red pen first!), but if I have to add in a large chunk of new material I sometimes go back to the notebook.

      Delete
  4. Interesting process. Lawrence Sanders, the mystery writer, also wrote in longhand, then typed it up the next day on a computer. He used a legal pad & sometimes had trouble reading his own writing. (I can totally relate!) lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hah! Loved this post, Ruth. It's a disease that gets worse during "back to school" season when every store you enter has aisles crammed with the darn things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marla! You're soooo right. They're feeding our addiction! Is that even legal???

      Delete
  6. Hubby and I quite love them, too. We've found that places where architects shop usually have a pretty good selection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura—You're soooo right! I love the ones with graph grids. Art supply stores are good, too. Plus they have pens/pencils!

      Delete
  7. I've learned that jotting notes on the back of receipts, grocery lists and used envelopes is not productive, so I've switched to spiral bound notebooks and bound notebooks with cute covers. I always keep a small notebook in my purse in case inspiration strikes. My iPhone comes in handy when I need to tap notes via bedside because I can't read my writing when groggy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jen—The back of receipts, grocery lists & used envelopes are a definite no-no. They get crumpled. They get lost. They get wet and are unreadable. Not at all consistent with the pulled-together professional image we want to present to the world.

    I can't tap on my iPhone when groggy so I turn to my bedside notebook and hope to hell I can read it in the AM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, Ruth! We do have a lot in common! Notebooks! I love them too. I have them in every room, my car, my purse, etc. I have all kinds. Some of my favorites are ones I received as gifts - one is covered in actual leaves and has a twig pen, some are pink and I have a snappy tangerine notebook. My all-time fave is my Moleskin. The links you provided are going to cost me some $$ but I can't stop stocking up on more notebooks. Stationery, office supply and book stores are places I could actually be happy living! Thanks for stopping by my blog, Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcia—Trust me, it's only going to get worse! Since I posted this, I've heard from other notebook junkies cluing me into their favorites so now I have another list! Of course I'll check it out. Pathetic isn't it?

      But, as they say, resistance is futile.

      Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment! :-)

      Delete
  10. Oh WOW! It's nice to know I'm not alone. I feel like I stumbled onto the NAA (Notebook Addicts Anonymous). I have been a notebook klepto for years. When I was young and back to school came around my mom would by a whole box of notebooks from the store. I think that's when it started. Right now I have one by my bed, in my purse and all over my desk. :) I have the same problem Anne does, I can't seem to throw them out. Needless to say my husband doesn't like me coming home with more. I'm going to have to show him your post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Also is anyone else a pen and pencil collector? I think it goes hand in hand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. S.D.—Pleased to enable! lol And, yes, pens and pencils. Don't even start me! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ruth, I love this post -- and the photos of notebooks are making me want to go shopping for more, despite the fact that I still have a few empty ones. I love the tiny Field Notes notebooks because they are so highly portable. They don't last long but they've been invaluable.

    Thanks for a great post and for all the wonderful eye candy for writers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Midge—Thanks for the kind words. I enjoy hearing from another addict. Love Field notes. No nonsense in the best way!

      Moleskine also makes a teeny-tiny notebook. As you say, highly portable, perfect when you have only a small bag, and ideal when all you need is to make a note of a few words.

      Delete
  14. I am a total addict too. And that's why I love the youtube channel called "sea lemon." It shows you how to make all kinds of books, journals, and sketchbooks. And they all look totally adorable! She also has a ton of DIY instructions that are equally adorable. I never have the time to do any of the crafts. She also shows you multiple types of binding which I find really neat to explore the world of books and journals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Izzy—Thanks for stopping by to comment and thanks for the youtube "sea lemon" rec! Not that I'll ever time to make a DIY journal but I just love the idea. So that makes two of us! :-)

      Delete